Berkeley Nuclear Research Center

... energy for tomorrow

International Collaborators

KAERI_logo

Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute

KAERI was established in 1959 to lay the foundation for achieving national nuclear energy self-reliance.

Over the past 50 years, KAERI has become the driving force behind Korea´s national economic growth. KAERI has laid the stepping stones to promote strong economic development by using nuclear energy as a major energy source and to strengthen Korea´s industrial competitiveness through the transfer of advanced science and technology.

The world is faced with a serious crisis due to climate change and an energy scarcity. This crisis has escalated due to the indiscriminate use of energy. As a result, the global environment is being destroyed at a very rapid rate. Nuclear energy is an attractive alternative to avoid such an energy crisis...read more


university_tokyo_logo

The University of Tokyo

The University of Tokyo was established in 1877 as the first national university in Japan. As a leading research university, the University of Tokyo offers courses in essentially all academic disciplines at both undergraduate and graduate levels and conducts research across the full spectrum of academic activity. The university aims to provide its students with a rich and varied academic environment that ensures opportunities for both intellectual development and the acquisition of professional knowledge and skills...read more

 


Kurchatov_logo

Kurchatov Institute

The Kurchatov Institute is Russia's leading research and development institution in the field of nuclear energy. In the Soviet it was known as I. V. Kurchatov Institute of Atomic Energy,  abbreviated KIAE. It is named after Igor Kurchatov.

Until 1955 known under a secret name "Laboratory No. 2 of the USSR Academy of Sciences", the Kurchatov Institute was founded in 1943 with the initial purpose to develop nuclear weapons. The majority of Soviet nuclear reactors were designed in the Institute. Since 1955 it was also the host for major scientific experimental work in fields of thermonuclear fusion and plasma physics. In particular, first tokamak systems were developed there, the most successful of them being T-3 and its larger version T-4. T-4 was tested in 1968 in Novosibirsk, conducting the first quasistationary thermonuclear fusion reaction ever. Until 1991, the Ministry of Atomic Energy oversaw the Kurchatov Institute's administration. After the transformation into the State Scientific Center in November 1991, the Institute became subordinated directly to the Russian Government. According to the Institute's Charter, the Institute's president is appointed by the prime minister based on recommendations from Rosatom. In February 2005 Mikhail Kovalchuk was appointed director of the institute...read more

You are here: Home Collaborators International Collaborators